Saturday, November 23, 2013

Reni's View of being Thankful

Okay, been a little sidetracked as you can imagine lately so have decided to catch up on some posts.  Back in September when the kids were learning about 9/11, they had to make a flag.  On the inside are 3 red stripes, 2 white.  Yeh, not going for precise here, are we?  Anyhow, on the two white lines Reni wrote: 
  • I am thankful for my family.
  • I am thankful I am in America.  
Also on the inside panel, she wrote a small paragraph.  It reads:

I am proud to be an American because in my orphanage they used to abuse me and that way, I'm glad to be in America.  Now I have a family that loves me.

On the front are 4 stars.  Each star has something.
  • I am thankful that teachers help me.
  • I am thankful we have food and water and clothes.
  •  
  • I am thankful that I have parents.
  • I am thankful that my mom adopted me.
Now, some of you may be saying I shouldn't write this publicly.  This was hung up in Reni's classroom for all to read.  She wants others to know.   This is ALL Reni.  No coercing, no prompting, no nothing.  This is out of her thoughts.  She has told me in the past about a kid in her orphanage who used to hit her...with a gun.  Reni is a totally different child than two years ago.  She has found her voice and plans to use it.  Reni is secure here.  She knows she is loved.  She knows where she came from.  She has family.  She has friends.  This is National Adoption Month and if you ever wondered 'why' we do what we do, well here's your answer.  This is why.  We never harp on our kids' previous situations.  Ever.  We let them tell us whenever they're ready.  Reni is proud she was adopted.  Some of my children do not talk about it.  And that's perfectly okay.  Some choose to talk about it such as Reni. And that's okay.  There is no right, no wrong way to approach adoption discussion.  I let my kids guide me w/ how they want to talk.  Just listening is enough.  Some have only spoken of their adoptions once or twice.  Some over and over again.  To each their own.  I"m proud either way.  Just thought I should share why we do what we do.  Not to be thanked.  But rather to know the kids are safe, happy to be here, well adjusted and loved. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Reni for sharing your story. I look forward t listen to you use your recently found voice for great things on the future. :-)

    ReplyDelete