Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The List

What would you do if you were presented with a child with all these dx's listed below?  Would you take a leap of faith or no?  There is a reason I"m asking this tonight.  We had to fill out an application listing one of our childrens' dx's.  I looked at this listing thinking OMG!  That's a lot of stuff.  But then, then I looked up at that same kid.  And said "that can't be true.  Just look at her!"  Thought this to myself.  She's perfectly fine.  So why are so, so many scared off by dx's?  I don't think we personally had a greater leap of faith so to speak.  You just seem to know when a child is yours or not.  Instead of this list I see petite, fun-loving, stubborn, preteen, happy, thriving, smiling (when not grounded), high heel loving, book hating, music loving, awesome girl.  I know it's a rarity a post all the dx's we have.  But I had to list them out tonight and thought maybe others would benefit and discover that what at first seems scary, really and truly isn't a bit.  Just kids growing up like everyone else. 

FAS
Failure to thrive
ONH (optic nerve hypoplasia)
Radial articulation in both arms
Developmental delays
Scoliosis
Microcephaly
Strabismus
ASD (atrial septum defect)
Idiopathic short stature
Delayed bone growth


No comments:

Post a Comment