Saturday, December 15, 2012

Pinterest & Martha...death of me yet

Okay, it is no secret I am not the mother that can bake and make all kinds of crafty stuff or come up w/ all sorts of ideas.  Nope.  That is not me people.  I'm not artistic, I'm not crafty, none of that.  Martha would hate my house.  I don't iron my sheets and they look horrible putting them on the bed.  I'm not making a pile of Pinterest items either.  I really don't have time for all that.  I'll look and I have used a few ideas but for the most part, I leave it alone.  And elf on a shelf, I'm lucky I can remember the tooth fairy let alone some little guy getting into trouble every night.  My kids get into enough trouble w/out an elf giving them ideas.  Elf on a shelf and FASers, I can't ever imagine that being a good combo.

Anyhow, that brings me to the next thing.  Sometimes, I'd like to try to be crafty.  Try.  Remember the candy apples in the fall that looked terrible?  Well, this time I thought I'd try something so simplistic that even I couldn't screw it up.


Birdseed bird feeders.  Isn't that easy?!  Just gelatin, water and birdseed.  Who can screw that up?  Yeh, you guessed it.


Okay, it's not supposed to be soupy.  It was.  So, I just added more birdseed.  That wasn't working.  So I thought birds like peanut butter right?  Yes, but the peanut butter melts when hot.  Duh.  Making it a bit more soupy.  So, dump more birdseed in right?  Finally, when I had practically the whole bag in bowl, I decided to put it in the cookie cutters.  You stupid bloggers make it look SO easy.  Then, you're supposed to knot up twine and shove it in the mix and cover it with more mix.  Easy, right?  Twine doesn't move, does it?  Yes, yes it does people.  Sorry, but this is like a 3 person project.  Really.  Or meant for someone totally more crafty than I am.  

I would have taken pictures of the end product but they all fell apart.  People, save your effort and time, and sanity.  Go buy a bag of bird seed, throw it in the bird feeder and be done.  Lesson learned.  I am done.  I have come to the conclusion that I have not one single ounce of craftiness in this body.  I stink at art.  I'm not the best cook.  I can't sew.  I envy those that have talent.  For something so simple as a ornamental bird feeder to frustrate me so much, means I need to leave well enough alone.  Some folks are meant to make their own stuff.  Apparently, I am not one of those people.  I have to KISS everything I touch.  You know.... Keep It Simple Stupid.  Yep, that's me.  Keeping it simple.  If I see something cool on Pinterest or a blog, I think I will first see if I can purchase the end product at TJMaxx or something like that.  Me, I'll wait to find a nice bird feeder on sale or at a yardsale.  For getting making anything any more.  I encourage my kids to make stuff for sure.  But as you've seen, they clearly have more talent than I do. 

1 comment:

  1. My mom makes her own bird seed uses lard and peanut butter with the seed....puts it into zip lock bag, flattens it out and then sticks it in the freezer. If you want her specific recipe let me know...although I agree with the KISS principle.

    ReplyDelete