Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Reality check

I am not a super woman.   I get asked all the time "how do you do it?"  Umm, I don't.  I am nothing special, that's for sure.  Let me tell you how it really is around here.  We wake up late most days.  Kids don't have their lunches ready the night before for school.  The house is never totally clean.  Look on any floor in this house and I'm sure you'll find something....a sock, a lego (evil created those things, I swear), dog hair, homework, etc.  You get the picture.  Martha Stewart would cringe at this home.  I curse websites like that.  I do.  Pinterest makes things look so easy that anyone can do it.  Home improvement sites do the same thing.  Drives me bonkers. 

Whatever happened to having mix matched stuff that you could simply afford?  I think people feel since it's "supposed" to be easy that they  must try it.  Not here.  It is what it is.  There are holes in the walls.  The backyard has officially become a trash dump since having to take all the fencing down.  Keep meaning to Craigslist it but it just doesn't seem to happen.  Same thing w/ my thank you notes.  I mean well but one kid does this or that and I get sidetracked.  People think we have it all together.  Nope.  We don't.  I think personally the kids are the distractions.  Some days I feel no, that's not MY kid.  Surely MY kid would NEVER do something like that!  This was me yesterday at soccer practice.  A friend comes up to me and says "Summer just pulled her pants down and peed in the trees."  I turn around and scream "SUMMER GRACE!"  She peeks out w/ that puppy dog face knowing full well she's in trouble.  Her pants were soaked.  No spares.  Yes, I let her play soccer.  She could careless and neither did the other preschoolers.  Where on earth she got peeing in the woods from, I'll never know.  Oh wait, we have 5 boys.  any guesses on that one? 

Things like this happen on a daily basis.  Hence, why my home at times feels like a demilitarized zone.  At this point in time, it would be easier to have peace in the Middle East than to get the boys to clean their room.  On a side not though, the bathroom thing is working!  Wahoo!!!  Not sure if I shared it on here or just facebook.  I was tired of the bathrooms.  So, earlier this week, I said at the end of the evening when I go upstairs, if the bathroom is not clean (meaning you have stuff on the floor), than that person must sweep AND mop the bathroom.  The other night, all 5 boys did.  Next night, just Nik.  Tonight.... no one.  And, towels are hung  up and not being used as bath mats.  I love it.  Plus, I have a very clean bathroom.  Getting mop a few times a day helps.  Hey, one room down.  I'm not sure how many more times I can use the excuse w/ the social worker that the boys are in the process of reorganizing.  Surely, she's catching on.  LOL.  Anyhow, things are not always together here.  I have gone to the dentist w/ the kids a day early.  I've gone to appointments late.  Rare occasion, we've forgotten an appointment. 

I guess what I'm trying to get at is I'm not super duper crafty, organized, or together as many other mothers of large families are.  I'm lucky if my kids have shoes on.  Despite having copperheads in the yard.  Found one again last week.  Don't worry, my kids can identify poisonous snakes and spiders.  Wait to Logan sees the wolf spiders here in the fall...talk about a future freak out.  We may have to record that one.  I admire those who can do it all and remember it all.  I wish I could be more organized.  I wish I could create cool things.  I look up recipes as I have no originals.  We're trying. 

Point is, I am what I am as Popeye would say.  I make it through each day and at the end, if I'm not in tears, I consider that a success.  LOL.  I could blame it all on having ten kids or having 6 w/ FAS or having RADishes or whatever need you want to plug in there.  However, I can't blame it on any of that.  Seriously, it's just life.  We're trying to raise healthy, happy (ha!  they are kids you know) and well adjusted children.  If I must fore go organization, skill, and craftiness to do that, then so be it.  So, if you are worried about adding more kids to your family, don't be.  Eventually, things will get done.  If not, it will be there the next day for you. 

5 comments:

  1. I believe that when remembering their childhood, if your kid can look back and say, "My mom may not have done everything right, but she did the best she could, and she loved me." then we have succeeded. Everything else good is just gravy on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I really suspect that some of those "too perfect" Mommy Blogs are kind of fictionalized or at least heavily selective on what they post. A lot of women just won't say anything when their boys throw a dozen eggs out the second floor window for fun, or when the ruin a batch of cookies, or totally fail at something crafty. I think it's insecurity, or societal pressure to be like those magazines... Maybe there really are Moms out there that have it that together, but honestly, it kinda sounds a little boring to me.

    I love how real you are, and how real your family is. Life isn't perfect, it's how you handle the imperfections that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know I am not alone.
    pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Stephanie! It is great to know I am not alone and I only have two boys!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 5 yr old tried to go to kindergarten today w/o wearing underwear. Thankfully I found out right before she got on the bus. And we've lived in our house two years and only have one picture on the wall. At least it's of Jesus, that counts for something, right:). And we haven't had a family picture taken in four years and have two new kids since then. My four daughters' favorite bathroom is the great outdoors and this was long before they had brothers. Feel better?:) I read your blog because I need the real. I'm trying to figure out how to live with FAS and RAD.

    ReplyDelete