Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

Gosh, I don't even know where to begin w/ this one.  Today is Mother's Day.  I've had many before this one.  My first Mother's Day was very memorable.  It was almost a year after we had had Max & Irina home from Russia.  I think another very memorable one was about 2 years ago.  I actually took a pregnancy test.  Yes, always that glimmer of hope I guess.  I have always longed for a baby that I'll never have and I realize that.  I'm okay with it now.  But then, it was still hard to swallow.  However, ironically my not being able to have children has in turn given me 7 children, soon to be 10 children.  So, how can I ever complain that I wasn't able to birth children?  Though I may have not gotten to experience some of the slobber, sleepless nights, diaper changing, bottle feeding(wait, did that w/ some of mine) or the like, I think I have plenty of experiences of motherhood to last a life time. 

I do believe that a mother is more than someone who gave birth.  Whether you birthed a child or not, there is more meaning to the word mother.  What is that saying?  "not flesh of my flesh nor bone of my bone, but still miraculously my very own."  My kids are my own.  They are my children.  Yet, I share those children w/ another mother & I would be remissed if not to think of her on such a special day.  There are 7 different woman whom I must thank to day for their gift of life.  For without these mothers and their sacrifices, I would not have my children.  I can't thank them enough for that gift.  I gift that I get to love every single day.  I get to experience all kinds of emotions with my children day in and day out.  We get to do things together.  To grow as a family, to love each other.  Yes, sometimes hate each other at times too.  Hey, you wouldn't be normal if you were all hugs & kisses everyday, right?  I've gotten to see my kids go from kindergarten to high school.  I've experience much over the last 12 years of motherhood.  I have so much more to experience though and look forward to it.  Not the most glamourous job at times but one that I would not trade for anything in the world. 

Sometimes, I would love for time to just stand still.  I don't want to watch my kids grow up so fast.  I don't want them to become young adults w/ jobs.  I want them to stay young.  But, if they get to grow up and get to get jobs, I count my blessings that I raised them the right way.  Plus, I want my kids no matter how old they get to always be young and heart.  And mainly, to remember their mom loved them so much that she crossed the ocean  to bring them home.  One thing I can always say is I'll always be here for my kids.  That's what mothers do.  I consider my kids extremely special to be loved by two mothers.  One mother who loved them so much she wanted them to have a better life.  And the other mother who could not have a life without them.  Happy Mother's Day to you all.  Whether it is your first or your 12th, it is special.  It is your day to reflect.  Enjoy it.  Though I must say the eggs  wake up call at 6:45 am today was a little much.  Yet, it meant my kids really do care about me.  Have a wonderful day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment