Monday, May 9, 2011

manic Monday (much happening)

Oh my what a busy week this will be.  This past weekend we stayed home and worked on the yard.  Looks decent.  Warren and I went to the outlets and picked up a few items.   Went to the Osh Kosh outlet and were able to find Nik and Alyona shoes.  New shoes for $7.50. See, Kota has been on a shoe eating binge.  He ate 3 pair of Nik's shoes this past week and 2 pair of Alyona's.  He also ate mine but I caught him before I couldn't wear them.  The back part is partially gone but can still wear them.  Anyhow, then we got bread.  We go through 40 loaves a month.  And, since our fridge broke, our supply had dwindled.  Came home and Warren started fixing some of the bikes.  Kids really do need new bikes but just can't do it at the moment.  Adoption fees and repair costs have wiped us out.  (more on that later as we seriously need to fundraise).  Kids went on the bike rides and Alex & Nik crashed.  Just some road rash though Alex claimed his arm was broken.  LOL.  Yes, he has a broken piece of bone in his arm.  Orthopedist can explain it better than me.  Has a long fancy name and all.  yet, Alex thinks that every time he falls, he somehow breaks it some more. No, the break is permanent and piece of bone remains.  Nothing new kiddo.  No cast Alex.  Just road rash.

This week is busy.  It really is.  Many, many decisions must be made.  We leave for Camp Cheerio in Roaring Gap, NC on Friday.  We are all thrilled to be going to the mountains.  We love it and learn so much every year.  Wonderful to see everyone.  So, need to pack.  We're procrastinators so Thursday night it is.  Max and Alex have a dentist appointment this week.  Bojan has a prosthetic appointment.  I need to get Bojan and Nik shots this week at some point.  Speech therapist comes 2 or 3 times this week.   Other than that, good on appointments I think.  No IEP's from what I recall.  Alex has a performance for school on Tuesday.  Singing.  I really do not enjoy going.  I love going & watching my kids but Alex HATES singing so he literally just stands there.  He told me yesterday he was going to do the same thing this time.  He and Max are the only ones that do this.  Drives me bonkers. 

School is a biggie this week.  EOG's(which I don't believe in) and just a bunch of junk going on.  I call it junk b/c really, if the teachers teach all year long, you shouldn't have to "prep" a student for weeks at a time for a test.  Just ridiculous.  We have awesome teachers yet they're not allowed to do their job.  Alex has been prepping since February.  That's the first time I saw stuff come home from school in regards to testing prep work.  I think it's sad.  Kids are taught what's on the test and that's about it.  Schools deny it but it's true.  Ask a teacher who used to work for the school systems and you'll find unique answers.  Soapbox over.  I hate EOG's.  And I am NOT canceling or rescheduling appointments due to that test.  So, I'm sure they'll be mad at me when I come to pick up my kids.  Oh well.  Yana had her EOG Science test last week.  Correct me if I'm wrong but we still have over a month of school left.  How in the world is it end of grade?!  URGHH!!! Times have changed since I went to school here, that's for sure. 

Another decision we must make is who all we are going to homeschool this coming year.  Summer will be home as she's too young for school.  Irina will be homeschooled.  Most likely so will Alex & Alyona for sure.  In addition, we are seriously looking at pulling Nik and Bojan.  Need to first find out if Bojan could still do band in middle school if I pulled him.  Not sure on that one.  So many things go into homeschooling.  Deciding on a cirriculum is hard for me.  I like unit studies better.  But, that's just me I guess.  I like the flexibility they have.  I want to concentrate on geography.  Most my kids don't even know where their own state is that they live in or what country they came from!  I think it's appalling.  Many don't know basic history.  Important pieces of history.  I want history, geography, writing, math, health/p.e., and science to be our main focuses when it comes to homeschool.  I want to tie in a bunch of lessons together.  Travel will play a big part in our homeschool.  they will be given passports(not their real ones!), and get stamped when we go to countries.  We'll study some countries each week.  I was thinking a country a week.  Cover geography, a bit of history, writing, spelling, math(calculating distances), some health & p.e.  At the end of the week ,prepare a dish from that country for dinner.  I did this w/ Irina and Max for a bit and they seemed to enjoy it.  Visuals are real keys for my kids so that's what we'll focus on.  Homeschool has so many options.  But I'll have many on different levels so I need to find that balance for sure.  And, see what extra group activities we'll be doing.  So many to choose from.  Actually, there seem to be more choices here than in school.  I was somewhat shocked about that when I first started to homeschool. That's wonderful for my kids though.

We need to buy airline tickets.  I'm procrastinating.  I want to, don't get me wrong.  Just still waiting on ONE piece of paper.  Our "situation" has still not been resolved as they seem to be dragging their feet.  Told it would be resolved by March 24th.  Umm, I think we've been patient enough considering we did nothing.  Pray that our situation is resolved & truth be told.  Pray that it will not delay our process any further.  We are really anxious to go meet our children.  Though it will be just me and a friend traveling.  Warren will stay home w/ the kids.  Our travel dates are fly out June 11th and return June 21st.  Much to do on that list before we go.  We have to throw in Father's Day and organizing two birthday parties (Alyona & Alex) to the mix.  To say I'm busy is an understatement.  However, just do one thing at a time and everything will fall into place.  And, that's what we're doing.  There is also a reunion right after the Bulgaria trip.  Still have to decide if we can go.  We want to go but with fuel expenses & our airline tickets being much more than ever anticipated, might not be able to swing it.  Time will tell. Well, that and prices at the pump will tell.  I think it's important to go but we also are counting every penny as fees are now coming due.  That is a post in & of itself...money and lack of for this adoption.   We'll have the first trip covered but the second may be tougher.  Okay, so we have none of the second trip covered.  Again, another post.

need to go.  Much more to come.  And, I have a camera again so more pictures of the kiddos and a pup update.  Guess they're not really pups anymore.  But they sure act like it.  4 "littles" are here today & it's sunny out.  Time to spend some quality time outside.  Have a wonderful week.

1 comment:

  1. Okay - I'm chiming in on your history/geography.... NOT because I write curriculum either...

    Our kids did unit studies in history in school and came away after several years truly not having a real idea about true history.

    When we started homeschooling we switched to the four year - history from beginning to end plan and it CHANGED OUR WORLDS. All of a sudden they started getting not only history but geography. We used a program called BiblioPlan. Combined literature with history with geography. THEY LOVED IT!

    When we did it they didn't have anything but a literature/history book list.

    A few years later I began to teach at a Co-op and used BiblioPlan w/the STory of the World books and started writing FOR BiblioPlan.

    We have maps, question pages, art projects, geography, history, bible and church and a ton of other stuff....

    It is designed so ALL your kids study THE SAME history at the same time but find age-appropriate literature books.

    Even if you don't use BiblioPlan - seriously consider doing your history/literature/geography in a sequential - beginning to end program. It will help your kids so much not only enjoy but RETAIN what they are learning!

    I didn't say all that to plug our curriculum but because I feel very passionately about history/geography. Our boys have been through the program almost twice now and they are geography wizards and KNOW their history.... from beginning to end!

    Julia Nalle - homeschool mom of three boys!!

    www.biblioplan.net

    ReplyDelete