Monday, October 18, 2010

FAS poem

I am a member of a few FAS yahoo groups as so many of my children suffer from this disorder.  It is lifelong and the ONLY birth defect that is 100% preventable.  Yet, many do not even know it exists and hence, it's name...the invisible disability.  FASD affects 1 in 100 infants each year, more than autism, downs syndrome, cerebral palsy, cystic fibrosis, spina bifida, and sudden infant death syndrome combined!  Did you read that?!  Combined!  Yet, most people on the streets do not even have a clue what this disorder is or how much it affects the children.  Well, as a member of some of these groups, we've had the privilege of getting to know a few of the adult children w/ FAS/FAE.  It really does put a different perspective on things and helps us to become better parents.  Anyhow, there is a lady on there who has FAE.  She has written a wonderful poem and thought I would share it. 


My mom drank while carrying me inside of her womb,
It almost gave me a one way trip to the tomb.


God reached down with His healing touch in a delivery room one day, 
and with a voice that echoed loud this I heard Him say.


Not today Satan, this little girl belongs to me,
It doesn't matter that she's born with FAE.
In my eyes she like precious gold,
and through her life a story will be told.


Challenges may await her, and others may not understand,
But I created her with my own two hands.


To spread the word both for a near,
so that everybody in the world would hear.


Drinking while pregnant could harm a baby's life,
So, don't take the first sip, and do what's right.


I'll cradle her in my arms all day long,
and continue to sing her lullaby songs.


I'll be her Father and mother and whatever she may be,
Because in my eyes she's lovely, although she's born with FAE.


Written by:

Alicia Roark


I will keep you all posted as to when she may be speaking.  It is some time in February in VA.  Though I've never met her in person, I think she will speak volumes. 

2 comments:

  1. I learned the fact that you mention- the only birth defect that is 100% preventable when I was researching a specific child's medical file. I found it very, very sad that I didn't know this prior. I wonder why I didn't know that...are we sorely lacking in this country to educate people on this? Did I miss this in health class in school? Certainly my parents never mentioned this. I know one thing for certain- my children will KNOW there are tough consequences from drinking while pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think it is education that is lacking in regards to this birth defect. It is the leading cause of mental retardation yet it could all be eliminated if people were educated on the subject. The effects it has on the babies and then when they become adults is astounding. Right now, I'm in the teen years w/ FAS. I just was shocked it was such a big problem yet gets little to no attention. All I can do is educate that no alcohol is a "safe" amount while pregnant. Thanks for informing your children. That is the only way this can be stopped in the future...education.

    ReplyDelete