Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Let's add to that FAS day

Well, last post I left off a few things.  Thought I'd post before I forgot.  Our day has been hectic writing teachers and trying to get to the bottom of what happened at school.   At this point, don't even know if Nik has an interpreter or not.  Don't even ask.  I'm ready to spit fire already at the school and don't need more fuel right now.  LOL.  Alyona's situation we were never notified of.  Never told that the stupid county was going the inclusion route and never told many other things.  I am NOT happy & will be at school tomorrow morning.  Already had some words w/ Irina's worker.  Found out teachers were left in the dark too until this week!  Under the new NCLB law, they can no longer teach special ed even though they've done it for years.  It's nuts.  Parents here are beyond ticked off. 

Anyhow, sidetracked.  To add to the delight of our day here, it has been one FAS day.  Already told you of wrong bunks being put up and hair being cut...not by a professional mind you.  I left out the fact that I made some banana nut bread.  Not knowing that this was the same bucket of flour that Nik had literally stepped in w/ dirty feet.  Yep, out went the bread made & out the flour got tossed.  Of course, my kids tell me AFTER I cook the bread. 

Now, to add to the list, Max put bunks up wrong.  Then left the tools out.  Did not know this but should have expected this.  I'm on the phone w/ a PAP(prospective adoptive parent) and Max comes running in telling me Nik drilled holes in his wall.  Lovely.  I don't even want to go in there.  It has just been one of those days.  Hoping tomorrow is a fresh start.  I really do.  I do have some pictures of the kiddos tomorrow.  Need something other than rough news on here.  I think some cute kids will do the trick.  Stay tuned for some of those tomorrow & hopefully some better news of the classes too.  Open House is tomorrow.  I will remain calm.  I will remain calm.  However, if any of the teachers tell a lie, I may just have to say something.  Like, how they are saying they are a "team" of teachers versus saying they are an inclusion classroom.  Yep, I'd have to let the other parents know it is an inclusion class and what that exactly means.  To let you know how great they worked for my kids, Alex is doing 3rd grade again this year.  He had an inclusion class setting for math last year and got further and further behind.  Again, more on that later.  I know some people think it's a good idea.  I am not for it.  Mainly, b/c it singles the kids out who need help, puts all the kids behind in the classroom and the special ed kids slip further and further through the cracks.  Irina will have a minimum of 30 kids in her classroom.  Teacher stressed this is a minimum.  they are expecting more.  Alex will have 5 teachers.  Really, is that necessary???  They are cleverly calling it a multiple teacher approach.  I have kids in regular setting, resource setting and self-contained setting.  I've seen it all.  Not all kids belong in an inclusion classroom.  In some cases, I think it would work.  But not all.  We've tried it, we hate it.  Our kids do not feel included as was the intent of this whole idea.  They feel more different and more singled out.  Sorry, got off course.  I know this is a heavy topic & many even in the special ed community disagree.  You are either for or against it.  There really is no middle ground.  My kids were making progress in self-contained classes.  I will be keeping close watch this semester and even told one of the teachers that.  She was happy I would be and happier that I told her I'd go to the DPI this time versus the principal or central office path.  From what I gather, many teachers are upset as well about new arrangements.  I'm sure this will be an interesting week and will keep you posted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment