Sunday, March 21, 2010

If I did not adopt an FAS child...

I'm going to write something here in a minute.  I'm losing my mind b/c I literally spent about 30 minutes last night writing something else and computer lost it ALL.  Yes, all of it.  Over it now but I hate that when it happens.  So, I'm just forgetting about that post for now.  Onto other things.  First, I have to give you something to laugh about.  Warren and I saw this and were just sitting on the couch laughing for a good few minutes.  Here it is:


Do you all think this is as funny as we did?  LOL.  Nik has got Humpty Dumpty falling being pushed off the wall.  How does he come up with this stuff?!  So, two people are on top of the wall and one pushes Humpty over the wall.  You can see Humpty in pieces.  Do you see the smoke around Humpty?  Well, that is Nik finishing him off.  How?  By having the sun shine on Humpty and fry him.  What in the world?!  I have no idea what the horse is.  Maybe all the king's horses?  Sometimes I have to wonder about this kid.  How about you?  Quite the contrast from him having the heart picture the other week, huh?  

I'm going to write something that maybe some of you can relate to.  Maybe some can't & maybe some will in the future.  It is how I feel if I had not adopted a child with FAS.  FAS is Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.  It is sometimes known as the invisible disability and I will write about it more in depth one day.  But, I figured I'd start wtih how I feel if I had not adopted a child with FAS.  For those who are new here, I have 7 children thus far and so far 6 of them are officially dx'd with either FAS or FAE.  BTW, in the grand scheme of things, there is not really a stinking difference between the two.  Seriously, one is no less significant than the other.  Anyhow, out of the 6 that have it, only one of them I knew about ahead of time.  CAll it destiny, call it fate, call it luck of the draw or what have you, but it happened to us and we really can't envision a different life.  So, here is what I feel if I had NOT adopted a child with FAS.  Wonder if some of you feel the same way. 

If I had not adopted a child with FAS...

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then I would never know about this disorder.

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then I would not have learned tolerance.

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then I would not have learned a monumental amount of patience.
If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then I would not have learned how to have great coping mechanisms.

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then I would not have learned how to not sweat the small stuff. 

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then I would not have learned how it feels for a child to crawl up in bed in the morning and snuggle up to me.

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then I would not have learned how to survive when times get tough.

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then I would not have learned what it is to be a mother.
If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then I would not have learned what it means to be a family.

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then I would not have learned all about the diagnosis's that exist out there. 

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then I would not have an appreciation for others who struggle in society.  

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then I would not have learned the joy it is to have a child with FAS.

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then I would not have learned compassion for special needs children.
If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then I would have never attended a Special Olympics event.  

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then  I would have not known what it means to truly be a parent..through thick and thin.

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then I would have never known the great artist my son is becoming.  

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then I would have not had the same experiences in life that I have now.  

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then I would not have enjoyed quiet time as much as I do now.

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, then I would not have learned a great deal of acceptance for those who are different.  

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, I would have not been able to spread the word about adoption of these children who are often unwanted.

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, I would not have realized my husband is the best father in the world!

If I had not adopted a child with FAS, I would not know what it is like to live at Chaos Manor and expereince life with such vitality as my children do.  

And for all these things, I am thankful that I was able to meet not just one child with FAS but 6 children with FAS.  All who have changed my life forever.  Hope you don't mind sharing how I feel about my FASers.  We struggle as parents but there is also good.  I know there is a very negative feeling in the adoption world regarding FAS children.  I want others to see that it is not all bad.  Thanks for listening.




1 comment:

  1. I agree 100%! I have 2 with "not quite FAS" but FAE (lol) It is the same without all of the facial features. To me the hardest thing is dealing with others, not my kids. It is especially hard since they look normal and people expect them to be normal.

    ReplyDelete